Building Competency-Based Systems & CBE Assessments
Deeper Competency-Based Learning: Making Equitable, Student-Centered, Sustainable Shifts. Karin Hess, Rose Colby, & Dan Joseph (2020), Corwin.
Deeper Competency-Based Learning features teacher-tested tools and strategies, including: developing a profile of the graduate, using performance scales to develop performance tasks, and validation protocols and verification methods for your CBE system (e.g., evidence-based grading). A few excerpts are available (below).
Competency-Based Systems - CBE Tool# 1A-1E: CBE Readiness Surveys
Competency-based Systems - Updated CBE Tool #3: Self-Evaluation Rubric for Competency Statements
Competency-Based Systems - Updated CBE Tool#5: Analyzing a Competency (Example with development steps
Competency-based Systems - Updated CBE Tool #6: Performance Scale Development - Coming soon...
Strategy Example: (Chapter 4 excerpt) Pacing strategies for personalizing on-line learning
(Downloadable) SAMPLE Competencies
Sample (NH) K-8 Mathematics Competencies
Sample (NH) High School Mathematics Competencies
Competency-Based Instruction, Assessment, & Grading - Food for Thought...
1. Presentation (PP) Overview: Proficiency-Based Instruction & Assessment
2. Overview: Proficiency Based Instruction & Assessment - Presentation in Prezi Format
3. Blog post: Myths about Grading
4. NE Secondary School Consortium: What is proficiency-based grading?
5. Competency Works: Progress & Proficiency: Redesigning Grading for Competency-Based Systems
6. Posted by Competency Works: What's the Difference Between Competency-Based Grading and Standards-Based Grading
8. Table: Comparing Differentiation-Individualization-Personalization
9. SEL Example - Chicago Public Schools Sample Goal Setting Guide and Rubric (Note: "Mindsets" are based on ASCA Mindsets & Behaviors for Student Success Standards, American School Counselor Association: https://www.schoolcounselor.org/school-counselors/standards)
Hess' ELA Learning Progressions Profiles (used to develop NH Model Competencies, Fully Aligned with Common Core)
Competency-Based Systems: Related White Papers & Descriptions of "Soft" Skills
Achieve, Inc. - Assessment to Support Competency-based Pathways
Apex Learning (poster) - CCR Skills defined
Ed Leadership/ASCD - Nine Competencies for Teaching Empathy
iNACOL & CompetencyWorks - Designing for Equity: Leveraging Competency-Based Education to Ensure All Students Succeed
iNACOL & CompetencyWorks - Quality Principles for Competency-Based Education
Great Schools Partnership - 10 Principles of Proficiency-Based Learning
Nellie Mae Education Foundation - Competency-Based Education & Student-Centered Learning
Nellie Mae Education Foundation - Pacing Learning in Competency - Based Systems
RI Applied Learning - sample performance indicators
Vermont example - Problem Solving performance indicators